Saturday, June 16, 2018

Overall


This week I have experienced generosity from so many people! Starting with the nurses at Cherokee Hospital who have shared their wealth of knowledge and experiences with us, they even shared some of their own personal stories. Everyone was so welcoming and accepting of us, and sometimes it’s not always that way in our hometown hospitals so it was very nice to be greeted in this manner. Kayla, Kim, and Victoria took time out of their work life and personal life to show us around Cherokee giving me and my fellow classmates a better understanding of the unique way people are cared for and also more about the culture. We were allowed to sit in church service which was amazing. To hear the pastor preach really touched me, how he was trying to decide if he would purchase a new vehicle, so he had been test driving it, and ask the Lord to show him a sign. The sign was that the very first thing he would haul in the back of the truck were the clothing we donated to the Sub Oxone Rehab Clinic. I am a believer and I know that God works in mysterious ways and I believe that was definitely a sign. One kind gesture has trickled down an effected multiple lives is another way I have experience generosity this week. Lastly, my classmates were generous in many ways, from cooking, cleaning, reminding others of things, helping each other looked for things we misplaced and simply sharing material things and kind gestures it was much appreciated. As far as my instructors went they did everything to cater to us (the students) and it didn’t go without notice, they gave us so many options of what we could do and where we could go, they went out of their way many days to make sure everyone was comfortable and well taken care of, and I am thankful.



While I was here I was very observant in the way patients were cared for. I learned how helpful it can be to be non-judgmental and leave your own personal issues at the door when you want into work. Making the patient feel comfortable, and centering your care on the patient’s entire existence such as their family, home, work social environment to make sure they are healing not just physically but emotionally, understanding the non-medical factors that play a part in each patients diagnosis is so important to improving their health. I took all this information in and I also watch and saw how this positively affected the patient nurse relationship, I will be utilizing all the skills and information gained in this experience to care for my future patients.

I feel like diabetes and substance abuse primary preventions are very important in this culture. The language academies are also important in keeping the culture alive. There is a new generation that is ready and eager to learn and teach about their culture and passed on traditions. Keeping the youth active in the culture is the best way to keep it thriving. It’s important to do so, so that the traditions don’t die.



White water rafting was completely out of my comfort zone. I was eager to sign up and excited to do it, but I was also very nervous. Thinking about all the things that could possibly go wrong, seeing that I’m usually pretty clumsy. My guide was Josh at Endless River and he was amazing. It was a very personal and informative adventure that came along with lots of thrill and excitement. I even jumped in the water which I was later informed that it was only 52 degrees after they pulled me back into the raft. I enjoyed every second of rafting.



As far as my blog from the first day I feel the same way, I’m glad I got a chance to have this experience. I can always come to Cherokee, and do the outside of clinical activities but I could have never received the first hand insight and knowledge about this culture unless I was on this trip. I’m so very happy that I was able to come, and I’m leaving with more than a suitcase full of souvenirs but a new appreciation for culture, honesty and holistic care.




1 comment:

  1. Kamia,
    You did everything to it's fullest even getting out of your comfort zone like rafting. Thank you for your insight and compassion that you displayed in caring for others.

    It seems as if you picked up on recognizing the answer to prayer that Pastor Conseen and his family had about knowing if they were making the right decision. After bringing all the items with an entire truckload for the Suboxone clinic, it appeared he had his confirmation. Although I'm sure your family was good and ready to have you back, I am so glad to have had you as part of this course. Thank you for everything!

    ReplyDelete