Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Day 4


In this culture I’ve learned that a lot of the grandparents are put into positions where they are raising their grandchildren. The elders of the community have the authority, because they are the most respected in the community.

There is lots of foster parenting, and adoption in this culture, there mixed race families, there are grandparents raising children, and traditional families, such as husband, wife and child. I didn’t observe single mothers, I’m not saying it isn’t something that actually happens but I didn’t hear about it. I also didn’t hear anything about the father’s role in the family structure. In my own culture there are a lot of single mothers, not many single fathers, but when there are single fathers they are praised.

The support systems in the community are the grandparents the elders it seems like.  Another this is that the community supports the community. From what I have observed it’s not really judgmental, most people are understanding and pushing people towards positive outcomes. The community aspect is amazing it’s like one big encouraging family.  

Most families and children who are resilient have been through trauma, and they have some type of support system to help them along.

No comments:

Post a Comment